Super easy, super tasty, and will likely rank among your family’s favourites. Or switch it up and turn it into an Italian sandwich. Recipe courtesy of Dairy Farmers of Canada.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min
Bake: 15 min
- ½ cup (125 mL) bottled tomato passata
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dry Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 2
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 4 small Italian buns (optional)
(1) Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread passata over base of a 9 x 13-inch (3 L) casserole dish.
(2) Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Horizontally slice chicken breasts in half to form 4 cutlets. Press both sides of each cutlet into breadcrumbs to coat. Set aside. Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Add chicken, cooking until golden brown on each side for 2 to 4 min (chicken will not be cooked through). Place in casserole dish.
(3) Wipe pan clean. Melt remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in the clean pan. Add garlic; cook for 1 min. Whisk in flour, then milk until blended. Bring to a boil, whisking until bubbly and thickened, about 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat and stir in Mozzarella. Drizzle Mozzarella sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 15 min. Sprinkle with basil. Serve as is, or place chicken and some sauce in buns.
Cooking Tip: Passata is a tomato sauce made from strained tomatoes. It makes a great base for pizza as well.
Energy: 351 Calories
Protein: 38 g
Carbohydrate: 12 g
Fat: 16 g
Fibre: 1.0 g
Sodium: 449 mg
Calcium: 237 mg